Recipe by hollyberry117
Creamy Greek side dish - Great for dipping pita bread or a side to lamb. If using Greek yogurt skip step 1. Prep time does not include draining of yogurt.
Top Review by I'mPat
This was the first time I have used tzatziki sauce and we thoroughly enjoyed using it on recipe #360833 and will be using it on salad and think I will be trying it on a stuffed potatoe. Thank you hollyberry117, made for Bargain Basement.
- 1 (16 ounce) container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint or 1 tablespoon fresh dill, plus additional
- fresh mint sprigs or fresh dill sprig
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spoon yogurt into sieve lined with cheesecloth or coffee filter set over bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer drained yogurt to medium bowl and discard liquid.
- Meanwhile, in colander set over bowl, toss chopped cucumber with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Let drain at least 1 hour at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- In batches, wrap chopped cucumber in kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Pat dry with paper towels, then add to bowl with yogurt.
- With flat side of chef's knife, mash garlic to a paste with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add garlic, chopped mint, oil, vinegar, and pepper to yogurt and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 or up to 4 hours.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature, topped with cucumber slices and mint sprigs.