1 hr 30 mins
As seen on Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices firm white bread, crust removed
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups good quality jarred tomato sauce
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil for the spaghetti. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and parsley and cook until the vegetables are soft but still translucent, about 10 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let cool.
- 2Pour enough milk over the bread in a bowl to moisten and let it soak while the onions are cooling. Combine the meats in a large bowl. Add the egg and Parmigiano and season generously with salt and pepper. Use your hands to squeeze the excess milk out of the bread and add that to the bowl along with the cooled onion mixture. (Hang onto the pan - you'll need it to cook the meatballs.) Gently combine all the ingredients with your hands or with a spoon until just mixed together. Don't overwork or the meatballs will be tough. Divide into 10 equal pieces and shape them into 10 nice looking meatballs.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Heat a 3-count of oil in the frying pan over medium heat and brown the meatballs on all sides, about 10 minutes. Put them into a baking dish and spoon about half of the tomato sauce over. Shower with the mozzarella and drizzle with olive oil. Put the meatballs in the oven and bake until the meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in the boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and put it onto a large serving platter. Pour on the rest of the sauce and mix well. Spoon the meatballs on top of the spaghetti and garnish with basil leaves. Serve immediately along with extra cheese.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tyler Florence's Ultimate Spaghetti and Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (597 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1722.7
- Calories from Fat 746
- Total Fat 82.9 g
- Saturated Fat 34.6 g
- Cholesterol 389.1 mg
- Sodium 2270.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 115.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: