Tyler Florence Turkey Gravy
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs turkey wings
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 head garlic, smashed
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh sage
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh thyme
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the turkey wings* into a small roasting pan and roast them until they are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, herbs, and peppercorns and cook for 5 minutes. Add the turkey wings. Pour some water into the roasting pan and scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom; add this to the pot. Cover everything in the pot with cold
- water by 1-inch and bring to the boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain out the solids and discard. Wipe out the pot and put it over medium heat. Melt the butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the flour. Cook this roux, stirring frequently, until it is golden brown. Slowly whisk in the strained stock being careful to work out any lumps. Cook until the gravy has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- *Cook's note: Also add the backbone and neck from the turkey you are grilling.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this twice and loved it. The problem is one time I tried the ol' "just make gravy from the drippings" way and found it much easier. The time spent on this gravy is not worth it in my opinion. I looked on youtube and watched a video on how to make gravy from drippings and that turned out much better with minimal work. Again, good flavor, but it is time consuming...you do yield much more gravy with this recipe though, so if you have 10 or more people, give it a try.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Cooking is one of my great passions in life. I love a good meal, however, my love of cooking comes from the enjoyment I see in the faces of the those that eat my creations. I am a full-time business woman, wife and pet parent. My hobbies are reading, cooking and scrapbooking. I am also a huge fan of Reality TV shows with Iron Chef America and Dinner Impossible as my can't miss weekly shows.