Recipe by Derf
Spread with light cream cheese;add some fresh fruit and a glass of orange juice, milk or coffee for a satisfying breakfast. Or pack it up for a portable breakfast. Nummmmy!!! from Canadian Living Mag.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup rolled oats, not instant
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves or 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (or walnuts)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all but 2 tablespoons of the rolled oats, the all purpose and whole wheat flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cloves.
- Add cranberries and pecans.
- Stir into butter mixture alternately with applesauce, making 3 additions of oat mixture and 2 of applesauce.
- Scrape into parchment paper lined or greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved rolled oats.
- Bake in centre of 350f degree oven until tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 65 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and let cool completely.
- Make-ahead: Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy duty foil and freeze for up to 1 month.