Recipe by Chef Johnsonville
I found this recipe before I decided to follow a lower fat diet, so I often reduce the cheese amount and it works just as well. I've also combined it with the Weight Watchers Baked Potato Soup #261058 for a nice lower fat recipe. I use broth when doing the baked potato version. Also adding roasted garlic is quite tasty. Can do the potatoes peeled or unpeeled. The cauliflower can be fresh or frozen.
Top Review by mama smurf
I fixed this for lunch for DH and I the other day. I cut the recipe in half but followed it completely. I chose to peel the potatoes but either way would work. I served it with a small green salad and some bread. Yummy! I definately will put this in my soup recipe collection to make again. Thank you. Made for Fall PAC 2009.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups milk
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled
- 1 lb cauliflower, frozen
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, cook and stir 4 minutes or until onions are transparent.
- Add garlic, cook and stir for 15 seconds.
- Add milk (or broth), potatoes, cauliflower, salt and red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Use a hand held blender or transfer to a regular blender in batches and process til smooth. Reduce to medium heat, heat until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses into soup and stir until melted.