Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great side dish. I have added pecans and everyone loved it. Hope you do too.
- 3 small buttercup squash
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar or 6 tablespoons sugar, in the raw
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and fibers and discard.
- Place squash in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 375°F.
- Scoop out flesh of squash, leaving about 1/4 inch thick shell and set shells aside for now.
- Place flesh of squash in a medium bowl.
- Add sour cream, salt, nutmeg and nuts if using, mix until smooth.
- Fill each shell with the squash mixture.
- Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Place filled shells in baking dish.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Love butter cup squash, this is very tasty, the filling was great, tasty and crunchy too. I had no pecans so I used walnuts, very nice!! I will be making this again, thanks for posting.
I had never had Buttercup Squash - in fact I thought at first it was a typo and was supposed to be Butternut :) My produce guy helped me sort it all out. They only had large ones, so I got 1 and followed the rest of the recipe exactly as written, did not use the optional pecans, but next time I will. This was a very good side dish! Easy to prepare and put in the oven for the twice baked part while baking some pork chops. I'm thinking about it for Thanksgiving, it would be perfect. I'm thinking you could bake a day ahead and twice bake the day of. Thanks RiffRaff!!!