Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a mild spicy soup that is perfect on a cold day. This is my take on the soup served at Olive Garden which I love. Instead of kale I use escarole or spinach as a preference for my family. It’s so easy to make and makes a very large pot to feed a crowd. Cut the recipe in half if not so much soup is desired.
- 3 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 3 lbs Italian sausage, browned and broken up
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes, diced into cubes, not too large
- 2 bunches escarole (about 8 cups) or 2 bunches spinach, sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- Fry sausage in pan, set aside.
- In a large pot, bring broth, cream, salt, pepper flakes and garlic to a boil.
- Add the sausage, sliced escarole or spinach and potatoes, (cubes shouldn't be too large or too small) and add to the broth.
- Simmer for hour. Adjust any seasoning if needed.