Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a classic. In Romanian you'd call it Mamaliga cu Branza. Branza/turos is a kind of cheese you can only find here in Romania. It's a soft, strong tasting cheese that's like a mixture between feta and ricotta. That's what I'll suggest for American cooks. If you can get branza burduf use it. This is great wih marinated red onions on top.
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- Add salt to the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornmeal to the water slowly and stir rapidly for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a small baking pan pour the oil.
- If using ricotta and feta, combine into a smooth mixture.
- Make one layer of cornmeal mush. Cover with layer of cheese. Continue this until you are finished with ingredients. Finish with the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with sour cream or yogurt.