This is a classic. In Romanian you'd call it Mamaliga cu Branza. Branza/turos is a kind of cheese you can only find here in Romania. It's a soft, strong tasting cheese that's like a mixture between feta and ricotta. That's what I'll suggest for American cooks. If you can get branza burduf use it. This is great wih marinated red onions on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add salt to the water and bring to a boil.
- 2Add the cornmeal to the water slowly and stir rapidly for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350.
- 4In a small baking pan pour the oil.
- 5If using ricotta and feta, combine into a smooth mixture.
- 6Make one layer of cornmeal mush. Cover with layer of cheese. Continue this until you are finished with ingredients. Finish with the cheese.
- 7Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
- 8Serve hot with sour cream or yogurt.
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turos Puliszka
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.6
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 79.6 mg
- Sodium 696.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 16.9 g