Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Soften gelatine in cold water.
- Add sugar to boiling water.
- Bring to boil.
- Stir in softened gelatine.
- Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add flavoring and coloring.
- Pour into ungreased, 8-inch square pan.
- Add nuts.
- Stir gently.
- When firm, invert onto cutting board.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Roll in confectioners' sugar.
- Store in a jar at room temperature.
Subbed crushed almonds for the pistachios (didn't have any) and reduced the orange extract to 3 teaspoons. Everything worked very well...the nuts were fine and the candy had a lovely, subtly orange flavor. The only thing that might be considered less than 100% positive is that the candy was extremely sticky in the pan (which was non stick) and very difficult to remove completely once it had cooled. I don't know if a spritz of cooking spray would be in order or not, but WILL be used the next time we make this.
This was the first Turkish delight recipe I tried that actually worked (!). I didn't like the taste as much...but I was just happy it wasn't an unameable consistancy!!! I omitted the pistachios and I found that it was too sticky to take out of the pan after it was chilled so I took a very sharp knife and cut the candy into squares, powdered my hands with powdered sugar, and basically peeled the candy out of the pan. (It was tough and did not come apart.) My younger siblings LOVED it...but I wasn't very impressed.