Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A very moist and creamy textured bread by Corby Kummer. Can be frozen for upto a month.
- 3 -4 ripe pears
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons ground coffee (regular grind)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Peel and core the pears. Cut them into quarter pieces.
- Puree the quarters in a food processor to get 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups.
- Center a rack in the middle of an oven preheated to 325°F.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt into a small bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the butter and sugars until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing for about 1 minute.
- Add the pear puree and yogurt. Mix until combined.
- Stop mixing. Sprinkle the ground coffee and cardamom over the batter, then scatter the flour over the top.
- Resume at low speed or pulse a few times, and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour 5 mins., or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a wire rack and turn right side up on the rack to cool completely.