Recipe by Heirloom
This is an amalgamation of several different recipes I concocted when first getting familiar with ground turkey breast. I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I do!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey breast
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green chili pepper, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble the ground turkey breast into a large (6 quart) stock pot and cook almost through, about 4 minutes, over medium high heat.
- Add the celery, green pepper, onion, and green chili and cook till softened, about 5 minutes, over medium high heat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, and sage and stir until just combined.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, rinsed kidney beans, and chicken stock.
- Allow to come to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce heat to medium low, simmering uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper to your preference.
- Cook's Note: When handling hot chilies always make sure to wear gloves and refrain from touching your eyes, exposed skin, or other sensitive areas. I've even wrapped my hands in saran wrap to protect them when I didn't have any latex gloves. Be careful!