Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A different kind of chili
Make and share this Turkey Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 2 (8 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (20 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 large onion, diced (depends on how much you like onions)
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Brown the meat in a skillet and drain. Saute the peppers and onions in canola oil in a separate pot. Add spices to the peppers and onions after they've cooked a bit.
- Don't over do the veggies - they'll cook when it's all mixed.
- Add tomatoes, water, red wine, bay leaves and meat to the pot & let simmer for a couple of hours if you can.
- When you eat it, add some shredded cheddar to the top.
I found the recipe to be tasty, but found myself making adjustments. The wine & bay leaves were nice inclusions. I made this in a crockpot & it turned out more soup like. I had omitted the water & drained the beans. At the end I added tomato paste to thicken it up a bit. Than you for sharing the recipe!
Delish! We love turkey chili & now we love this one! The black beans were a nice change from the usual kidney beans. I especially liked the depth the red wine provided. I had intended to make it exactly as written but it turned out that I needed a recipe to cook itself yesterday. So I browned the turkey, drained it & then put it in the crock pot along with all the other ingredients, stirred & let it cook. At about 3 hours I checked & stirred but thought that it looked more like a clear broth soup than a chili so I went ahead & added a 15 oz can of tomato sauce. At 5 hours we couldn't wait any longer to dig in! The end result was absolutely delicious! I served it with a side of Bread Machine Honey Whole Wheat Challah. We'll be making this again! Thanks, City_Gurl! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0