1 hr 15 mins
North Africa is by no means devoid of sweets. This delightful recipe is a very good example of our love for the sweet life. Prep time includes 45 mins standing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 eggs
- scant 1/4 cup olive oil (50 Milliliter)
- scant 1/4 cup orange juice (50 Milliliter)
- 1 large orange, peel of (Grated orange peel = 3 Tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup sugar (50 Gram)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (300 Gram)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups cold water (300 Milliliter)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (275 Gram)
- 1/3 cup creamed honey (honey spread 100 Gram)
- 2 cups oil (For Deep Frying)
- 2To make ring dough, beat eggs, oil, orange juice, 1 teaspoon orange peel and sugar in a medium bowl until frothy.
- 3Sift flour with baking powder; add a spoonful at a time to egg mixture, beating well.
- 4Cover and let stand 45 minutes.
- 6To make syrup, heat water, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan,.
- 7stiring constantly until sugar has dissolved.
- 8Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- 9Add creamed honey or honey spread and remaining orange peel; simmer syrup gently another 5 minutes.
- 10Keep warm while cooking rings.
- 12Heat oil in a deep-frying pan to 360°F (180°C).
- 13Divide dough into 12 pieces.
- 14Using floured hands, make each piece into a circle 3 inches (7.5 cm) in diameter.
- 15Make a hole in the center of each circle.
- 16Enlarge holes using a wooden spoon until they are about 1-1/2 inches (3.5 cm) across.
- 17Add 4 rings at a time to hot oil.
- 18Fry 5 minutes or until golden, turning once during cooking with a slotted spoon.
- 19Lift out cooked rings with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- 20Using a fork, pick up warm rings and hold in syrup a few minutes to let syrup soak inches.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Honey Rings
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.4
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 49.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 34.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g