Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wonderful dish that even those who don't usually like fish will enjoy. Recipe is from "Bon Appétit" (April 2003). If you are not making this for Passover, you can replace the matzo meal with breadcrumbs. Recipe can be easily halved. These rewarm well, so it's a great dish to prepare ahead of time. They actually freeze well too, and taste good cold. If you form larger patties, these make a great main dish.
- 2 lbs mild white fish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (such as orange roughy or halibut)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons matzo meal or 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 10 -12 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
Spicy Lemon-Paprika Aioli
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot spanish smoked paprika (Pimenton de la Vera, or 1 1/4 teaspoons hungarian sweet paprika and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- For Aioli: Combine all ingredients in small bowl; whisk to blend. Season aioli to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Line large baking sheet with plastic wrap. Coarsely grind fish in processor. Add next 8 ingredients; blend well. Add matzo meal and egg; process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. With moistened hands and using 1 generous tablespoon for each cake, shape mixture into patties about 13/4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick; arrange on sheet.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Fry fish cakes in batches until brown and cooked through, adding more oil to skillet by tablespoonfuls as needed, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer cakes to unlined baking sheet. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover with foil and keep refrigerated. Rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven about 10 minutes.).
- Arrange fish cakes on plates. Spoon aioli alongside and serve.