Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Phila. Inquirer
- 6 medium potatoes, parboiled,peeled and cooled then coarsely shredded
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 medium onions, sliced thin
- dry breadcrumbs, for sprinkling over layers
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup light cream
- Heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Sauté onions until soft and golden.
- Grease a casserole or baking dish with 1 tablespoons butter.
- Coat with bread crumbs.
- Cover bottom of casserole with 1/4th of potatoes.
- Alternate layers of 1/3 onions, 1/3 tuna and 1/4 potatoes, ending with potatoes.
- Season each layer with salt and pepper.
- Pour cream evenly over top of casserole.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and drizzle over top of crumbs.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes until top of casserole is crusty and brown.