Recipe by Valerie in Florida
Courtesy of Ina Garten
Top Review by Klburns1
I saw this recipe made on The Today Show years ago, 2002 or 2003, and printed from their web site. I have made it many times. I lost it during a move a couple of years ago and have missed it. Thanks so much for posting. By the way, I have found it to be too salty if you sear the tuna with salt and add salt as the recipe suggests. I leave out the salt and just sear the tuna with salt.
- 2 lbs very fresh tuna steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 limes, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 10 dashes hot sauce (recommended ( Tabasco)
- 1 -2 ripe Hass avocado, medium diced
- 1⁄4 cup minced scallion, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, small diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in a very hot saute pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.
- Cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.