Recipe by *Alia*
Traditionally this is made with red food coloring, but I ran out and used blue instead. This is very tasty, and sweet. I do tend to like to add a tiny bit of vanilla.
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄3 cup coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Take water chestnuts, about 10-15 pieces.
- Slice each chestnut into half, making two round disks.
- Make two cuts into the two disks to make 6 equally sized pieces.
- Set chestnut pieces into a bowl and drop the red food coloring and a teaspoon of water and mix well.
- Drain the chestnuts of any juice.
- Put tapioca flour in a big bowl.
- Drop the chestnuts in and shake the bowl around to coat the chestnuts with flour.
- Scoop the chestnuts into a strainer to get rid of the excess flour.
- Put it into another bowl.Spray some water on the chestnuts with a misting spritzer. Put them back in the flour bowl. Coat them with flour again.
- Boil a pot of water. When boiling, dump the coated water chestnuts inches The cooked "rubies" will float, scoop them up in a strainer and dump them in ice water.
- In a small cup add sugar and water to make syrup. Microwave the cup for 3-4 minutes depending on your microwave.
- Divide the rubies into equal amounts and set in two bowls.
- Pour out water from the bowls.
- Add half of the coconut milk and half of the syrup to make one serving.
- Serve with crushed ice in the summer time.