1/3 Photos of TSR Version of Popeye's Fried Chicken by Todd Wilbur
Kana Kahuna's Note:
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. Popeye's Fried Chicken started in New Orleans in 1972. They sold "traditional" mild fried chicken but business was just O.K. They realized they'd have to sell a spicier alternative to their standard chicken recipe if they wanted to impress flavor-seeking New Orleanians. *Note - This is a copycat recipe, to expect it to be "exactly" like Popeye's is a little unrealistic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep fryer or in a wide, deep pan on stove.
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, peppers, and paprika.
- 3Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat until blended.
- 4Check the oil by dropping in a pinch of the flour mixture, If the oil bubbles rapidly around the flour, it's ready.
- 5Dip each piece of chicken into the egg, then coat generously with the flour mixture.
- 6Once the chicken is coated, it should be placed on a rack to allow the pieces to dry, which may take 20 to 30 minutes. Allowing the pieces to dry will provide for more even browning of the chicken.
- 7To fry, heat oil in a heavy skillet over a medium-high burner until the oil is very hot. Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil, skin side down, one piece at a time. Leave enough space between pieces so that they are not crowded. This allows the pieces to cook and brown more evenly.
- 8Continue to cook over a medium heat, turning until all sides are golden brown and the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- 9As the pieces finish cooking, they should be removed from the pan and placed on a paper towel to allow grease to drain.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Popeye's Fried Chicken by Todd Wilbur
Serving Size: 1 (1250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12141.4
- Calories from Fat 11918
- Total Fat 1324.2 g
- Saturated Fat 174.4 g
- Cholesterol 558.0 mg
- Sodium 7195.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 29.8 g