KFC Extra Crispy Chicken (Copycat)
My best-to-date copycat recipe for replicating KFC's 'Extra Crispy' chicken. Note: This recipe requires 1/2 cup of my Recipe #453973. Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Recipe #493078. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 20mins
- 1 premium quality fresh young roasting chicken, cut-up
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons morton lite salt
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup seasoning ($notetemplate1$)
- 4 teaspoons cornflour or 4 teaspoons masa harina
- 1 tablespoon ground tellicherry black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 3⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed cornstarch
- 4 quarts water
DEEP-FRYING FAT (I USE PEANUT OIL)
- vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
- NOTES: USE ONLY SELF-RISING FLOUR (MAKE YOUR OWN, IF NECESSARY, FOLLOWING A TRUSTED RECIPE). YOU MAY USE MASA HARINA FLOUR (TAMALE FLOUR) IN PLACE OF CORN FLOUR. YOU MAY USE 1/4 TEASPOON LEMON PEPPER IN PLACE OF 1/8 TEASPOON CITRIC ACID. (STEP ONE): RINSE and blot chicken pieces; MIX 2 quarts (8 cups) cups cold water with 2 tablespoons morton lite salt and 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning in a large wide saucepan (with an accompanying lid) until dissolved; ADD chicken pieces; COVER and transfer to refrigerator; MARINATE chicken at least 4 hours in refrigerator, turning chicken as needed. NOTE: FOR A QUICKER STOVETOP MARINATION METHOD, PIERCE CHICKEN PIECES WELL WITH A FORK, THEN HEAT THE MARINADE WITH CHICKEN, COVERED, OVER LOW HEAT FOR 20-30 MINUTES (TURN CHICKEN ONCE MIDWAY THROUGH).
- INTO a large mixing bowl, add the SEASONED FLOUR ingredients except the self-rising flour and cornstarch; BREAK up any clumps if present, by hand or using the back of a spoon; WHISK well with a wire whisk until well blended; ADD 3 3/4 cups self-rising flour and 1/4 cup packed cornstarch; WHISK mixture well until thoroughly combined.
- ADD 4 quarts water to a large bowl or saucepan for the WATER WASH.
- REMOVE chicken from marinade with tongs; PLACE chicken into large bowl containing the SEASONED FLOUR and coat well; REMOVE chicken from seasoned flour bowl using tongs; PLACE chicken portions onto a platter; REPEAT procedures with remaining chicken pieces.
- DIP one piece breaded chicken using tongs, into the WATER WASH to wet completely; DROP wet chicken into the SEASONED FLOUR again and toss until slightly clumpy (you may flick water into breading to get more small clumps, which is what you want); PLACE double-breaded breaded chicken onto a platter to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- PREHEAT manufacturer's recommended amount of pure shortening or vegetable oil (or a blend of both) in deep-fryer to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 315°F - 325°F (use a heat-safe thermometer to gauge).
- PLACE breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding; LOWER the basket slowly into the hot fat (or gently lower breaded chicken pieces using tongs into stovetop pot, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- FRY chicken between 16-20 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done).
- DRAIN on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; REPEAT the same cooking procedures until all chicken is fried. DRAIN chicken on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; TRANSFER rack over a baking sheet and keep chicken warmed in a preheated 170°F oven until serving.
- SERVE and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
WOW! This was fantastic. I didn't have a few of the spices (savory, cardamom and vanilla beans). Other than that, I made it exactly as written, both with ingredients and techniques. I used 12 thighs and the flour mixture was almost the perfect amount. I only have fried chicken a few times a year and was craving it so this was a huge treat. Will make again and will try to remember to get the missing spices.
This is too many unnecessary spices. This better recipe tastes exactly like KFC, use a pressure fryer aka Chicken Bucket for best results. Ingredients 1 whole fryer chicken, cut up into 8 pieces Kentucky Fried Chicken marinade 6 to 8 cups shortening 1 cup milk 1 beaten egg 2 cups all purpose flour ? teaspoon paprika ? teaspoon baking powder ? teaspoon garlic powder ¾ teaspoon MSG 2 ½ teaspoons salt ¾ teaspoon pepper For the Kentucky Fried Chicken Marinade: 1¼ cups cold water 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon potassium chloride or Adobo seasoning 1 tablespoon MSG (monosodium glutamate) ? tablespoon garlic powder 2 tablespoons bottled chicken base Instructions Combine all the marinade ingredients to make the marinade. Trim any excess fat and skin from the chicken pieces and marinate them for a couple of hours. Mix the milk with the egg in a bowl. Combine the other dry ingredients in another bowl. Drain the marinated chicken on paper towels. Dip each chicken piece in the egg and milk, and then coat it in the dry flour mixture. Dip into the egg and milk mixture again then back in the flour. Make sure every piece is well coated. Preheat the shortening in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Stack the chicken on a plate until each piece is coated. Drop the chicken pieces into the hot shortening, one at a time with tongs being careful not to splash any of the hot oil to avoid burns. Oven mits are a good idea. Fry 4 pieces of chicken at a time until golden brown. This will take 12 to 15 minutes. Stir the chicken halfway through the cooking time for an even finish. Drain the chicken pieces on wire racks for 5 minutes and serve hot.