Popeye's Fried Chicken
photo by Jcarter
- Ready In:
- 1hr 12mins
8 Pieces Fried Chicken
- cut chicken into breast, thighs, legs and wings.
- place chicken pieces in a zip lock bag with 4 cups of balsamic vinaigrette marinade.
- Let chicken marinade 12 hours in refridgerator.
- WET Batter - place 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 cup of corn starch, 1/2 cup of mustard powder, 2 tbs of backing powder, 1 tbs of paprika, 1 tbs cayenne, 1 tbs onion powder, 1 tbs salt and 4 cups of chicken stock in a mixing bowl.
- Mix wet batter in a bowl with a hand mixer with whisk attachment. Mix until thinner than pancake batter. Place 5 ice cubes in batter to chill the batter. Once ice cubes melt give a final whisk.
- Place 4 cups of all purpose flower in a seperate bowl for dredging.
- remove chicken from marinade right out of the refrigerator and place on a drying rack.
- once drained place chicken pieces in wet batter for a good coating.
- remove chicken from wet batter and place in dry flower dredge and toss for the dry coating. Once a generous coating is applied, slap two pieces together to remove loose flower and proceed to fryer.
- Deep fry chicken at 340 degrees for 12 minutes in a medium cast iron dutch oven. Use shortening for the oil. Roll chicken at 8 minutes and remove after cooking for 12 minutes. Fry like pieces together until finished.
- Chicken and batter need to be cold to the touch before frying.
- You can adjust the seasoning to your taste depending on what you want your chicken to taste like, Spicey or Mild.
- Try to keep oil at 340 degrees, a 5 degree +/- variance is ok.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!