Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken from the January 8/03 issue of The Toronto Star; posted on behalf of a request for truffle oil recipes.
- Note: if you're buying metric, you want the 540 mL can of beans; you're aiming for about 2 cups of beans.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook diced bacon until crisp (it will take about 10 minutes or so).
- With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to drain on paper towels, but leave bacon fat in pan; raise heat to medium high.
- Add shallots and saute for one minute.
- Now add beans, thyme and lemon juice; stir.
- Cook until beans are warmed through, anywhere from two to four minutes.
- Return bacon to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in olive oil and truffle oil and remove from heat.
- Arrange spinach evenly over four plates and spoon warm bean mixture on top.
This is a delicious dish and the flavors go so well together! I used only 2 tsp of olive oil and halved the bacon (and used turkey bacon). Even for lemon lovers, one lemon was plenty. The lemon does kind of overpower the truffle oil (which I doubled). I drizzled even more over it at the table. Two of us ate this as a main dish (with one other thing) - it was so good!