Recipe by Lennie
Taken from the January 8/03 issue of The Toronto Star; posted on behalf of a request for truffle oil recipes.
Top Review by Maito
This is a delicious dish and the flavors go so well together! I used only 2 tsp of olive oil and halved the bacon (and used turkey bacon). Even for lemon lovers, one lemon was plenty. The lemon does kind of overpower the truffle oil (which I doubled). I drizzled even more over it at the table. Two of us ate this as a main dish (with one other thing) - it was so good!
- 4 slice bacon, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 538.64 g can white beans, drained and rinsed (such as navy beans or cannellini beans)
- 9.85 ml minced fresh thyme
- 2 lemons, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml truffle oil
- 946.36 ml Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: if you're buying metric, you want the 540 mL can of beans; you're aiming for about 2 cups of beans.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook diced bacon until crisp (it will take about 10 minutes or so).
- With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to drain on paper towels, but leave bacon fat in pan; raise heat to medium high.
- Add shallots and saute for one minute.
- Now add beans, thyme and lemon juice; stir.
- Cook until beans are warmed through, anywhere from two to four minutes.
- Return bacon to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in olive oil and truffle oil and remove from heat.
- Arrange spinach evenly over four plates and spoon warm bean mixture on top.