Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a true ND Kuchen, use your favorite fruit and make a variety of flavors. Please read entire recipe before starting as it is somewhat broken up but easy to follow if you read the entire thing through before you start. Also please note this is a large batch! This makes enough dough for 20 Kuchen as it is written! Time doesn't include prep as that is so variable.
- 3 cups of warm milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 5 eggs
- 6 3⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 12 3⁄4-13 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pints cream
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- apple, Blueberries, Peaches, whatever fruit you choose, enough to cover the bottom of each pie tin, peeled
- Dough: Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of the mixture. Mix other liquid ingredients in another bowl, add sugar, salt, and a little of the flour. Mix together then add the yeast mixture. Mix well, add remaining flour in small amounts until dough reaches a soft smooth dough. It may be a little sticky which is ok. Cover and let raise until double, only 1 time. Roll out and put in pie pans. Let raise a little bit before adding the fruit and custard.
- Custard: heat 3 pints cream (use a large bowl) in the microwave oven for 9 minutes (Mine takes 60% power for this) In another bowl mix 6 eggs, 1 Cup sugar, 1 teaspoons vanilla, and 3 1/2 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch. Blend together. When cream is done mix this mixture into cream and heat another 9 minutes. Take out and whip until blended. Heat another 6 minutes. Take out and blend well. Custard is now ready to add to crust.
- Fruit needs to be cooked with a little sugar to sweeten before placing fruit on dough.
- Place fruit on dough, pour custard over top of that (don't overfill), sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until crust is golden brown and custard bubbles. Cool and enjoy!
This was not quite ND Kuchen. The crust was more cake like than flaky. I doubled the custard and still seemed like not enough. Also it took almost an hour and a half to bake.