Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Very elegant and rich. You can also use your favorite Chocolate American Butter Cake if you don't feel comfortable with the genoise.
For the Chocolate Genoise
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweeteened alkalized cocoa powder (dutch processed)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For the Chocolate Mooses
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate or 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 5 ounces milk chocolate
- 5 ounces white chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 3⁄4 cups heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- ----makethe chocolate genoise----:[You can also use your favorite Chocolate American Butter Cake if you don't feel comfortable with the genoise] preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- butter a 9" springform pan, put a round of parchment in the bottom, butter again and flour.
- Sift the cocoa and flour into a medium bowl, whisk to combine, set aside.
- Fill a pot one third full with water and bring to a simmer.
- Comine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water (bowl should not be touching the water) and whisk until the mixture is warm to the touch.
- Transfer the bowl to the mixer and, using the whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until the mixture triples in volume and forms a thick ribbon when the whisk is lifted-- about 8 minutes.
- In four batches, sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture and quickly, but gently, fold the flour in.
- (this may take some practice).
- Fold in the butter, scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake cake for 20-25 minutes, until it's just pulled away from the sides and the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then unmold cake on a cooling rack and allow to sit until room temperature.
- Leave the cake on the bottom of the springform pan.
- ----Make the Sugar Syrup----: Combine the 1/4 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of water in a small sauce pan.
- You can flavor the syrup with a liquer if desired.
- Almond or hazlenut works well with this cake.
- Bring to a boil (be sure to cook off all alcohol if using a liquer).
- Let cool to room temperature.
- ----Makethe Mousses----: Chop the chocolate and place in three medium bowls.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Pour a half cup of hot cream into each of the bowls of chocolate.
- Whisk each until smooth (it's nice to have a helper for this;-).
- Let the chocolate mixtures cool for 15 minutes, should be a warm room temperature.
- Meanwhile whip the 3 3/4 cups of cream and refrigerate.
- When all is cool gently fold 1/3rd of the cream into each of the chocolates, refrigerate.
- ----Assemblethe cake----: Using a long serrated knife cut the cake horizontally into three layers.
- Install side of springform pan.
- Brush sugar syrup onto the bottom layer, spread the milk chocolte mousse onto the cake.
- Place 2nd cake layer ontop of the mousse and brush with syrup.
- Spread white chocolate on this layer.
- Finally, put the top on the cake and spread dark chocolate mousse.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours or up to 24 hours.
- Garnish with white chocolate curls before serving.
- I've kept this cake for a couple days with good results, but it is at it's peak the same day it's made.
I made this recipe using mini cup cake pans. I put the genoise and mouse into twenty-four 5.oz plastic cups. (I had enough genoise to make three regular size cup cakes) It was very time consuming doing it this way but well worth it. the recipe was great and easy to follow along. It does make it easier and faster if you have a helper. I did not layer the genoise in with the mousse because I was making 24 mini cups so the genoise just sat at the bottom of the cup with the mousse layered on top. I layered the mousse dark, milk and white chocolate. I also think I cooked the genoise too long the outside of it was kind of hard whoops:)(My friends won't mind.). The taste and everything else were great! Thank you Steve G for such an amazing recipe! Again the taste was wonderful.