Recipe by JustJanS
My mother made a great trifle, my sister made her additions, I made mine, this is it. This may not be the "real" way to make trifle, but it's been our family way for as long as I can remember. This is super quick to assemble if you don't make the custard yourself (sorry mum).
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Very good classic dessert. This was absolutely gorgeous looking ..the gelatin looks like tiny sparkling jewels on top. I used only 1 color of gelatin for mine. I would prefer fresh fruit next time however-- perhaps strawberries and kiwi slices or raspberries, maybe even some fresh pineapple or mango. I made this 2 hours in advance, to allow for the chilling time.. next time I would only make this 1 hour ahead, as the gelatin sunk a bit into to cream (which did nothing to the taste, just affected the presentation).
- 2 (85 g) fruit flavored gelatin, your choice of flavour (jelly crystals)
- 400 g jam rolls, cut into 1cm slices
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur (or port, sherry or juice)
- 440 g fruit salad, drained
- 2 cups custard, I used a thick commercial one
- 2 cups whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Make up the two jellies according to packet directions: allow to chill and set.
- Line a decorative glass bowl with the slices of jam roll.
- Sprinkle the jam roll slices with the liqueur.
- Spread the fruit over this.
- Spread the custard evenly over this.
- Spread the cream over this.
- Take a fork and break up the jelly. Arrange it attractively over the cream.
- Allow to chill a few hours before serving to let the flavour develop.