Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is great Greek Spanokopita!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch chopped scallion, white and green parts
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (40 sheet) boxfrozen phyllo dough, defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and add the scallions. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill, eggs, feta, salt, and pepper and mix together.
- Keep the phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel. Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo dough. Brush the sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process by laying a second sheet of phyllo dough over the first sheet, brush it with the melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs until all 10 sheets have been used.
- Spoon 3/4 cup of the spinach mixture into a sausage shape along one edge of the phyllo dough. Roll it up. Brush the top with butter and score the roll into 1-inch rounds. Place it on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the pastry and filling have been used.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Serve warm.