Recipe by maui-dream
I got this recipe out of Taste of Home's Quick Cooking and I absolutely love it! It is a favorite here at home. This bread comes out real soft and very tasty! I like to heat it up in the toaster oven or microwave and then put butter on top. Yum!
Top Review by mwtmark
this is a great bread for toast and sandwiches.I give a loaf to my friends and they all call me the same day to say it's wounderful. we all in the family like it so munch it's all the bread we use.
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg
- all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, yeast and salt.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, water, honey and butter to 120-130 degrees.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Beat in egg until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a surface lightly dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide into thirds; shape into loaves.
- Place in three greased 9-in.
- x 5-in.
- x 3-in.
- loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.