Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this recipe! It's cheap, delicious and fast to prepare. It comes from an old boyfriend's mum. She is Samoan and a great cook. As this is a Samoan recipe, you can bet it's going to feed a small army.
- 250 g mung beans, vermicelli they are also called cellophane (found in the asian section of your supermarket) or 1 glass noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, crushed (or a good tablespoon of the prepared garlic in a jar)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated gingerroot (or 1 tb of ginger from a jar)
- 300 g mincemeat (all meats are fine, beef, chicken or pork) or 500 g of chopped meat (all meats are fine, beef, chicken or pork)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 2 -5 cups chopped vegetables, I love veggies so I added 5 cups (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder or 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder or 1 teaspoon beef stock powder
- In a large pan, fry the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent over a med/high heat.
- Add and fry the meat for no more than 2 minutes It needs to be just seared. Stir so it doesn't burn.
- Add the soy sauce and water (the water should almost cover the meat - not totally). Let simmer over a med. heat while you prepare the noodles (about 5 minutes).
- Prepare the noodles as per the pack instructions (place hot water in a bowl and add the noodles, let stand until they are re-hydrated and plyable).
- Snip the noodles, you want each strand to be short.
- Add the noodles plus 1 cup of the water from the noodles.
- Add the remaining ingredients. It will look soupy - this is normal.
- Stir and let simmer over a medium heart for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve as is!
I used Bok Choy and Cornbeef instead of mixed veggis.
Amazing recipe thank you so much for sharing.. It was A big hit with the family :-)