1/1 Photo of Traditional Sapa Sui (Samoan Chop Suey)
I love this recipe! It's cheap, delicious and fast to prepare. It comes from an old boyfriend's mum. She is Samoan and a great cook. As this is a Samoan recipe, you can bet it's going to feed a small army.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g mung beans, vermicelli they are also called cellophane (found in the asian section of your supermarket) or 1 glass noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, crushed (or a good tablespoon of the prepared garlic in a jar)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated gingerroot (or 1 tb of ginger from a jar)
- 300 g mincemeat (all meats are fine, beef, chicken or pork) or 500 g of chopped meat (all meats are fine, beef, chicken or pork)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, manis
- 2 -5 cups chopped vegetables, I love veggies so I added 5 cups (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder or 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder or 1 teaspoon beef stock powder
- 1In a large pan, fry the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent over a med/high heat.
- 2Add and fry the meat for no more than 2 minutes It needs to be just seared. Stir so it doesn't burn.
- 3Add the soy sauce and water (the water should almost cover the meat - not totally). Let simmer over a med. heat while you prepare the noodles (about 5 minutes).
- 4Prepare the noodles as per the pack instructions (place hot water in a bowl and add the noodles, let stand until they are re-hydrated and plyable).
- 5Snip the noodles, you want each strand to be short.
- 6Add the noodles plus 1 cup of the water from the noodles.
- 7Add the remaining ingredients. It will look soupy - this is normal.
- 8Stir and let simmer over a medium heart for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Serve as is!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Sapa Sui (Samoan Chop Suey)
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1767.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable stock powder