Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Here's a terrifc low-cost recipe that kids and adults will enjoy. It uses ingredients that most of us keep in our pantry so I doubt you'll need to run to the store. The kid'll have fun helping put this one together.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 ounces green chili peppers, canned, drained
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup sharp American cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomatoes, medium, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- taco sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain well.
- Stir in the 3/4/ cup of water, the chili peppers, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until thick.
- Generously grease a 12 to 14 inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with the cornmeal.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the Bisuick and the 1/2 cup cold water with a fork until dough follows fork around the bowl.
- With floured fingers, pat dough into bottom and up the edge of prepared pan.
- Spread refried beans over dough. Spoon meat mixture over the refried beans.
- bake uncovered in a 450 degree ove for 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Top with lettuce, tomator and gree onions. If desired, serve with taco sauce.
I looved it!!!!!
This recipe is definitely a kid pleaser. My husband liked it too. Next time I make it I'm mixing garlic salt with the cornmeal and sprinkling it on the pan. The crust needs a little sprucing up. Would be a quick and easy snack for game day. :)