Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A quick to make recipe from Kurma Dasa's '52 Quick Vegetarian cards'. When I make these, I'll be leaving out all those hot ingredients, but I know I'm undoubtedly in a minority in this taste preference so I'm posting the recipe as on the card! The reviewers so far, I have noted, have omitted the asafetida powder. The Zaar Kitchen Dictionary says that garlic powder or onion powder can be used as a substitute.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This was a great salsa! I used bagged tortilla chips and left out the lettuce as per previous reviews as I was taking this on a picnic and didn't want to risk soggy lettuce. Good, fresh flavours, with just enough of a kick.
- 4 corn tortillas
- oil (for frying)
- 2 avocados, firm but ripe, halved, peeled and chopped
- 5 tablespoons iceberg lettuce, inner leaves, finely shredded
- 1 small green chili pepper, seeded and sliced into fine julienne strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 medium dried chipotle chiles, finely chopped & reconstituted in a few tablespoons of hot water for 15 minutes or 1 teaspoon smoky hot spanish paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges, heat some oil in a small frying pan, shallow-fry the wedges until golden and crips and drain on paper towels.
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix gently.
- Serve the tortilla wedges with the salsa as an appetiser or as a snack.