Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Something a little different for those people that don't like the squishy soft hotdog buns but don't want to eat their hotdog naked either ;). By switching the cheese and the dipping choices, you can make any version you like. Processed cheese and ketchup for a whistle dog (add bacon bits if you like), pepperjack cheese inside with salsa for dipping, and so on. I make mine with whole wheat flour tortillas, but feel free to use plain white ones. This recipe is for four dogs, since that is as many as will fit on my grill press. For four people I double the recipe, make in batches so everybody gets two. Enjoy!
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 small flour tortillas, whole wheat
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese, divided
- nonstick cooking spray
- Cut each hotdog in half, to get two shorter pieces.
- Place 1/4 of the cheese in the middle of a tortilla.
- Place two hotdog pieces side by side on top of the cheese.
- Bring the two outer edges of the tortilla together across the top of the hotdogs.
- Fold up the bottom edge, then flip over onto remaining side to make a packet.
- Heat a frying pan, grill press, or panini maker.
- Spray the packets all over with cooking spray and place seam side down on hot surface. Weight it down with another pan, or close the lid of the press/panini maker.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown. If using the frying pan you will have to flip the packet to cook both sides.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, whatever you like to dip your hotdogs in!
- Note: It is better to dip the tortilla dogs than to add the ketchup or sauce to the packet. It gets hot and can squirt out, causing burns. Same for really melty cheese.