Another of our South Beach favorites, healthy and oh so delicioso! Inspired by a recipe we saw on the South Beach Diet website. Fresh whole wheat tortellini can be found in many higher end grocery stores but you can easily substitute with 8 oz whole wheat penne rigate which is readily available in most grocery stores these days. Other ingredients are easily adapted to your individual tastes as well. Manja!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs eggplants, diced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt (low sodium blend)
- 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch chunks (may substitute with prepackaged Italian chicken breasts chunks such as Purdue Short Cuts)
- 1 small onion, sliced (red onion is best)
- 1 red pepper, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) chopped tomatoes, undrained (Hunts fire roasted)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheese tortellini, whole wheat, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (can substitute with asiago or low fat mozzarella)
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Cover a shallow cooking pan with foil. Place eggplant chunks in the pan and drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls oil, season with half of the salt, crushed red pepper and Italian herb blend. Toss well to coat. Bake, stirring once until eggplant is lightly browned about 20 minutes.
- 3Season the chicken breast with the remaining salt, crushed red pepper and Italian herbs.
- 4Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a non stick frying pan until hot. Add the chicken breasts and fry until lightly brown, about 2 minutes per side. Add onion slices and stir gently. Cook until onion is soft about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- 5Add the red pepper and stir to coat well. Lower the heat and add the undrained tomatoes and stir well. Simmer for 3 minutes and add the basalmic vinegar and stir.
- 6Add the roasted eggplant and chicken and stir well. Add the drained, cooked tortellini and stir gently.
- 7Check for seasonings, adjusting to taste.
- 8Transfer contents to a oven proof casserole dish with a tight fitting lid, sprinkle with the cheese and cover. Place in the warm oven to allow cheese to melt about 5 minutes.
- 9Serve with a salad and multigrain rolls.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortellini With Roasted Eggplant & Peppers-South Beach Diet
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.2
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 900.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 19.8 g