1/2 Photos of Torta Salata Di Farro - Savory Farro Pie
A traditional dish of the hills around Lucca. It calls for cracked farro, which cooks faster. I first heard of farro from Giada De Laurentiis, who made a salad from it (a recipe which I've posted). Farro is similar to wheat berries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 370 degrees F (180 C).
- 2Prepare the farro: Wash it well, picking out impurities such as bits of chaff, pebbles, or bad grains. In a medium saucepan, combine the farro with about 4 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt, then turn heat to high and bring it all to a boil.
- 3When it has come to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium low, cover, and let simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat, drain mixture well, then pour it all into a large ceramic or porcelain bowl and set aside to let cool.
- 5When cooled, combine it with the remaining ingredients except the butter and the bread crumbs.
- 6Use the butter and bread crumbs to lightly grease and coat a 9-inch pan, pour the farro mixture into it, and bake it in a 370 F (180C) oven for about 40 minutes.
- 7This will work well as a second course, with a tossed salad.
- 8Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis' method of cooking farro and from a recipe in Luciano Migliolli's "Il Farro e le sue Ricette." Farro: Grain of the Legions Grano Farro has a long and glorious history - it is the original grain from which all others derive, and fed the Mediterranean and Near Eastern populations for thousands of years; somewhat more recently it was the standard ration of the Roman Legions that expanded throughout the Western World. Ground into a paste and cooked, it was also the primary ingredient in plus, the polenta eaten for centuries by the Roman poor.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Torta Salata Di Farro - Savory Farro Pie
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.5
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 113.9 mg
- Sodium 71.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: