Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh Lemon Meringue Pie Guido style.
- 4 eggs (best to use at room temperature)
- 4 ounces fresh lemon juice (about 3 whole lemons, squeezed)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons coconut flakes
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut lemons in half and using a juicer, squeeze juice. Remove seeds. If you produce more than 4 oz. of lemon juice, then use extra juice to clean the counter top when you're done (great fresh scent!)
- Separate eggs. Put yolks in 1-qt mixing bowl, and whites in smaller mixing bowl.
- Whisk yolks until frothy. Add can of sweetened condensed milk. Mix using whisk.
- Add lemon juice to yolk/milk mixture. Mix thoroughly. This is the filling.
- To ensure filling holds together in the pie, add 1/3 package of unflavored gelatine to the filling and mix inches
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar in small amounts during mixing. You will get the fluffiest meringue by making sure the egg whites are room temperature before starting to beat them, and adding sugar very slowly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add cream of tartar and beat some more until stiff peaks form. This is meringue.
- Spread meringue over pie filling. Using a fork, prick meringue to form peaks.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes, if desired.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack then refrigerate. Serve chilled.
- Mangi e goda
- Buon appetito!