1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This delicious cake is from Diana Kennedy's "The Cuisines of Mexico" -- a really great book. Here the cake is flavored with almond. Sometimes the 'cake of heaven' is flavored with anise. Remember, the almonds need a good 6 hours to soak, before you can begin to make the cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour hot water over the almonds to cover and let them soak at least six hours; skin them.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3Butter a 9" springform pan generously; cut a piece of parchment to fit the bottom; lay it in the bottom, press, and turn so that the parchment is buttered on both sides; lightly flour the pan.
- 4Chop the nuts roughly, then grind them a little at a time; to qoute Ms. Kennedy, "they should be neither too coarse not too fine.".
- 5Beat the egg whites until fluffy; add the salt and continue beating until they are stiff.
- 6Add the yolks one by one and continue beating until incorporated.
- 7Mix the dry ingredients together and, beating at low speed, gradually add them to the egg mixture.
- 8Add the brandy and almond extract, mix well and pour into the prepared pan.
- 9Bake for 1 and 1/4 hours in the middle of the oven.
- 10Let the cake get cold before removing it from the pan.
- 11This moist, textured cake keeps almost indefinitely if stored in a cool dry place--preferably not the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Torta De Cielo (Almond Sponge Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.9
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 197.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 6.8 g