The picture in Bonappeit magazine looked so yummy. I can't wait to make it. *Please note the review from Whatcha got cookin about the fennel. I would reduce the fennel to your liking to avoid the overkill of the fennel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, halved through core, thinly sliced lengthwise (about three cups)
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed, sausage coarsely crumbled
- 1 (8 ounce) package of sliced fresh cremini mushrooms (baby bella)
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth, more if needed
- 16 ounces pesto filled tortellini, packaged
- 1 (5 ounce) package of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add sliced fennel bulb, sausage and mushrooms; saute until sausage is brown and cooked through and fennel is almost tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 3Add garlic and fennel seeds; stir 1 minute.
- 4Stir in cream, then one cup of broth; boil until liquid is reduced and very slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Cook tortellini in large pot just until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain and return to pot.
- 6Add sausage mixture to tortellini in pot. Toss over medium heat until blended.
- 7Add spinach.; toss gently until spinach wilts.
- 8Stir in 1/2 cup cheese; add more broth by 1/4 cup cupfuls to moisten if dry.
- 9Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with fennel fronds and any additional cheese.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toretellini With Italian Sausage, Fennel and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1053.7
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 185.6 mg
- Sodium 1835.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 49.2 g