Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great vegan dal dish. Tastes wonderful with rice. Although the recipe doesn't specify, I tend to soak my lentils over night (or during the day if I'm making this at night.) You don't have to do that though!
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (does not make it very hot though) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 cups water (for cooking lentils)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil (or less)
- Rinse lentils and bring to a boil in 3 cups water.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until lentils are very soft, the consistency of thick soup.
- Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne.
- Allow to simmer uncovered while preparing garlic and mustard seeds: In a small frypan, heat oil to med hi.
- Saute minced garlic in oil with mustard seeds until just beginning to brown.
- Add to dal and serve immediately.
Tasty dish. I simplified the process by heating 1 tsp oil, added all the spices (I used whole seeds for most) and fried until fragrant, added one onion, the garlic and fried until soft, then added the lentils and water. Cooked for only about 15 minutes and it was great. I would serve this over rice or with naan, but definitely doesn't serve 4. The two of us split this dish and my bf was hungry for more afterwards. Tasty, definitely a quick and easy dish I would make again. Thanks so much for posting, this is just what I was looking for.
I just made this dal today and it turned out pretty good! It's very tasty. I actually don't cook, and I wanted to learn, this was definately a very easy recipe which is awesome! :D Yummy. I ate it with Roti, though, not rice and it tasted pretty good. I added a little bit oh red chilly powder in the 6th step, also a small green chilly chopped up (my mother suggested this) :)
Excellent, excellent. Five stars for ease of preparation as well as tastiness. I made two very small changes. I used a little extra oil. maybe a tsp., and I added about a 1/2 tsp. of fresh ginger with the garlic and mustard seeds. Served over brown rice. Great little meal or side dish. Thanks!