Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I first had this dish at my mother-in-law's house when my husband and I were dating almost 40 years ago. Since then, it has become a staple at our house -- the favorite dish of two of my three sons. It's so easy to put together, covers the gamut of food groups -- protein, dairy, vegetables, and grain.
- 1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (Add garlic to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I use Italian-style)
- 16 slices American cheese (or enough to cover the egg noodles)
- Boil water and prepare the egg noodles with salt and pepper in the water, to taste.
- While water is boiling, brown the ground beef in a large skillet.
- Add salt, pepper, onion, and garlic toward end of browing; cook and saute just until onions are tender.
- Drain, and add the cans of corn, beans, and tomatoes.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or so, to meld flavors.
- Drain the noodles, and layer over the beef/vegetable mixture.
- Layer the cheese slices to form a sealed blanket over the noodles.
- Put a lid on the skillet, and let simmer until cheese is melted.
- If you prefer to brown the cheese, use a pot that can go into the oven. When the cheese is layered on the dish, place it in a 350-deg oven until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.