Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Have been courting this recipe (well the star too. Can't help it, he's handsome) for a while and finally decided to give it a whirl. The outcome was FABULOUS!! Originates from a "Star Palate: Celebrity Cookbook for a Cure". It contains various favorite recipes from different stars. I did change the recipe a bit due to availability of ingredients in my refrigerator which I've incorporated into the ingredients. This sandwich is so refreshing!! I'm in LOVE.
- 1 -2 teaspoon very finely minced garlic (amount depends on how much you like garlic)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (good quality brand)
- 3 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola (I used feta)
- 4 focaccia bread, squares 3 x 4-inch squares sliced open (I used 8 hearty Tuscan bread slices)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (or good quality heirloom tomatoes with a mixture of variety and colors)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups baby arugula leaves, washed and spun dry
- sea salt or kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler or grill (I used a toaster).
- In a small bowl, mash the garlic, mayonnaise, and Gorgonzola (or feta) together until well combined. Set aside.
- Under the broiler or hot grill (or toaster), toast the cut sides of the foccacia until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes about 1/2-inch thick.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and basil, and then toss in the arugula.
- Spread the top and bottom layer of focaccia with the Gorgonzola (or feta) aioli. Place the tomatoes on the bottom piece of the foccacia, dividing them evenly among the sandwiches. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, then top with the dressed arugula. Close the sandwich with top foccacia square and serve immediately.
- NOTE: Because I had extra, I topped the arugula with some fresh basil leaves. YUM!