Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These tomatoes look wonderful and taste even better Prep time does not include the 15 minutes for draining nor cook time for the potatoes. I use left over mashed potatoes for this recipe. Great color for Valentine's Day
- 6 large tomatoes
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, cold
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄8 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I like aged but your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons paprika (Hungarian)
- Cut large hollows at the stem end of the tomatoes, remove seeds& Juice.
- Sprinkle the inside of the tomato with a little salt and invert on paper towels to drain for apprx 15 minutes.
- Mix the cold mashed potatoes with the chives, thyme, pepper and 1 cup of the cheddar.
- Fill the tomatoes with the potato mixture.
- Mix bread crumbs with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and the paprika.
- Sprinkle evenly on the tops of the tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the tomatoes in well oiled muffin tins.
- Bake 15 minutes or until they are heated through.