Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
All times are approximate, received this recipe from my mom, who received it from her father, who both passed this last year, only recipe I ever managed to get out of my mom before she died. As a family recipe all amounts are to our own tastes. :o) Childhood favorite of mine, and still a good comfort food. Freezes into separate meals well!
- Prepare Mac n Cheese according to box instructions, EXCEPT cook noodles for half the recommended time.
- Drain the canned tuna, Bring to simmer pasta sauce and add the tuna, As pasta sauce is simmering, caramelize the diced onion in a separate Pan (or caramelize the onions in the same pan, then do above step) making sure onion is very tender.
- Add onion to Tuna Pasta Sauce (or vice versus), simmer for a few more minutes.
- Transfer Pasta Sauce to the pot holding the macaroni and cheese, stir until mixed, then transfer to a large baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes to blend flavors and finish cooking the noodles.