Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is so easy, just let cook for a few hours. I add in meatballs also and let it all cook together. If you want you could start with a brisket bone for meat flavour, or pork neck bones.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces water
- 1⁄8 red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Place oil in large pot, add the onion garlic fennel, chili flakes, parsley and oregano. Sauté until soft.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt and the water.
- Turn to simmer and allow to cook until thickness desired.
- Note if using meat bones, I brown them first in the oil leave in the pot and continue. Also if adding meatballs, I add them about half hour or so of cooking the sauce, and I add them raw or browned.
- I use this for pasta, or pizza as my general red tomato sauce.
- I also add more oregano and oil towards the end of cooking you could add basil also same amount, (but I am not a basil fan for some reason).