1/1 Photo of Tomato Sandwich Packets for the Grill
I saw the rave reviews for a simple, delicious tomato sandwich on Zaar, so I thought, well, the great cooks of Zaar might laugh at this one, it's real folksy food, but when we have a braai (barbecue) here in South Africa, we must have these ... This recipe means 1 sandwich per person for 4 people. Lemme warn you: double the recipe! ** Postscript to a reviewer who does not accept zaar-mail: Dear Chef 184530: Do on no account wrap in anything -- grill, open, over coals or under grill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter each slice on on side.
- 2Peel the tomatoes, slice off the uneven end on one side, and press out some of the liquid and seeds.
- 3Peel and slice the onion.
- 4Cover 4 slices buttered bread with single layers of tomato slices.
- 5Sprinkle the tomato layer with either the fresh, chopped basil or the dried basil.
- 6Season with salt and white pepper to taste, but freshly ground black pepper is also fine.
- 7Cover the tomato layer on each slice with a layer of sliced sweet onion.
- 8Using the other 4 buttered slices, lay them on top of this filling.
- 9Using kitchen twine (have scissors handy), make a "parcel" by tying up each sandwich like you would a parcel, so that it will not fall apart on the grill. Do not wrap it in any covering such as foil!
- 10Then pour the olive oil in a small bowl, and, using a pastry or barbecue sauce brush, brush the parcels on both sides with olive oil. This will help them brown and crisp on the outside.
- 11Grease your grill grid with non-stick spray or brush with butter. Grill the sandwiches over medium-to-low heat, turning a few times, until golden brown on both sides. (They're really best over medium coals on an outside grill).
- 12Each person cuts off the twine at the table. With enough grilled meat and these "parcel sandwiches" you don't need much more than a large mixed salad to make a complete meal.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Sandwich Packets for the Grill
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.4
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 413.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 5.1 g