Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my favourites, a magical food created out of my favourite colour - red, tomatoes:) Ahh! Try this, you'll never regret it!
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 175 g arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 (400 g) canchopped tomatoes
- 600 ml light vegetable stock
- 25 g parmesan cheese or 25 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Then melt the butter with the oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the shallot until soft (but not coloured) i.e. for about 5-10 minutes should be great.
- Next, as you turn the heat up slightly, add the rice and stir to coat it thoroughly with the buttery juices.
- Add the puree and the tomatoes and stir well.
- Add a ladle of stock and allow that to bubble!
- Then add the rest of the stock and bring up to a simmer.
- Stir once, transfer to a warm ovenproof dish and put it (uncovered) in the middle of the oven.
- After 10 minutes, remove it and stir once.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- When the risotto is ready, take it out, stir in the cheese and basil.
- Season and leave to stand for a few minutes before serving.
Very nice and lovely colour, i did substitute 1/2 the stock for white wine.
I had never managed to make an edible risotto until I found this recipe.