Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a mouth watering, flavorful recipe. I love it when the tomatoes are in their full glory! This recipe is great for that! It is a Greek Tomato Patty. They are called by several different names, Domatokeftedes being on of them. When I make these my husband will actually eat them. He's not big on vegetable type foods. They actually have the taste and texture of a meatball without the meat. I have had several folks say that. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 1 lb roma tomato, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (to your taste or leave out)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh scallions (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place the tomatoes in a medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 ounces oil and season with salt and pepper. Place seed side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake until the skins wrinkle and the tomatoes are soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Peel the skins from the tomatoes and place in a colander over a bowl, to drain for about 20 minutes, occasionally pressing them to release juice. Reserve tomato juice for a later dish.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add in the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Remove and cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the roasted tomatoes, parsley, scallions, oregano, and basil with the onion mixture. Add in the flour and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Add more bread crumbs, if needed. Shape mixture into 2-ounce patties.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over high heat to reach 375 degrees F. Turn heat to medium-high heat and place the patties into the skillet in small batches. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Remove patties and drain on paper towels. Season with salt while warm.