Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This looks like a fantastic appetizer. I found it in my mom's Lean and Luscious and Meatless cookbook and am storing it here to try soon. Each serving has only 108 calories and 1 gram of fat! If you use soy parmesan it's dairy-free.
- 16 slices miniature party rye rounds (1/4 oz slices)
- 4 small tomatoes, sliced (or cut 2 large tomatoes into quarters then slice--you want the slices about the same size as the bre)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons parmesan soy cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Have a large, ungreased baking sheet ready.
- Place bread slices on baking sheet; place a slice of tomato on each piece of bread.
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar; beat at high speed until egg whites are stiff.
- Fold in parmesan cheese gently but thoroughly.
- Place a heaping tablespoonful of egg white mixture on top of each tomato; using a table knife, spread mixture, covering tomato and top edges of bread.
- Bake 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Serve hot.