Recipe by Chef53Kathy
This is really great served over buttered biscuits with bacon and eggs for breakfast. The gravy is delicious and everyone raves when I make this! This dish can also be used a main dish gravy if desired. I believe this came from a 'Taste of the South' magazine.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced and undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt the shortening and add the flour, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat till smooth. Gradually whisk in the broth and cook for about two minutes stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes and cook for about five minutes to desired consistency. You may need to add a bit more broth to thin if you don't want it too thick.