Recipe by Linorama
An elegant starter soup, especially for winter when the best tomatoes come in cans. From the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This is a nice tomato soup. I was hoping to taste a lot more of the fennel, though. I thought the tomato overpowered the fennel. Next time I will make it with either 2 fennel bulbs or only 14 oz tomatoes. Thanx for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored & chopped (about 12 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons feathery fennel leaves, chopped (save for garnish)
- 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped (about 2 oz.)
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2-1 cup vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in medium stockpot over medium-low.
- Add fennel, shallots and carrot, cook until very soft but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- This will take about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup broth, bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to blender or food processor in batches (I used an immersion blender right in the pan), and process until smooth.
- Adjust the seasonings, and add more veggie broth if necessary to achieve your desired consistency.
- Serve hot, garnished with the chopped fennel leaves.
- This soup reheats well.