Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cooking time is a guess.
Make and share this Tomato-Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Slice eggplant, peel and put into boiling salted water immediately.
- Boil about 10 minutes until tender.
- Drain and return to pan and mash.
- Blend in butter, eggs, pepper, onion, oregano and cracker crumbs.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Pour into buttered casserole and cover with the tomato slices.
- Sprinkle top with additional cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned on top.
Thanks Charlotte for such a different casserole. I can not wait to make this as posted. halfway through I realized I had NO CHEDDAR! Argh. I used what I had (montery jack and havarti) and it was still delicious! Even with such bland cheeses. I think it will be fantastic with extra sharp cheddar! The amounts did take more for me. I needed 3 tomatoes. Thank you for posting, so yummy!!
This was really yummy! I think the amounts need to be adjusted though, because I used 3 small (Japanese) eggplants and there was hardly anything left after I boiled and mashed them. Thankfully I had some pureed eggplant dip on hand from Trader Joe's so I mixed that in. I also ended up using about 12 tomato slices. My husband raved about how flavorful it was. It's great as is, but I recommend serving it with bread, as it lends itself to dipping or even eating it as a sandwich filling (my husband is taking the leftovers to work in a sourdough roll).