Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A surprisingly tasty, different tea sandwich from the more common cucumber sandwich.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 12 ounces red ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig tarragon
- 3 ounces very soft butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices white bread
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and fry the shallots and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes to the shallots with the tarragon. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced to a thick pulp.
- Press through a sieve and leave to cool. Once cold, beat the purée slowly into the softened butter.
- Season, and make into 6 sandwiches with the white bread.
- Remove the crusts and cut each sandwich into four triangles, squares or rectangles.