Recipe by Studentchef
My inspiration for this recipe besides submitting it to RSC #9 was to make another vegetarian baked beans. I think I only found one vegetarian baked beans recipe on this site so I wanted to diversify by creating my own.
Top Review by Rita~
First thing order of ingredients are always a pleasant thing on recipes being helpful to follow. I found this very very sweet! Would have enjoyed herbs, garlic a little kick from peppers be it sweet or and hot one. I did start this stove top but found the beans sticking to the bottom and needed to be stirred often so I put it into 325 degree oven for about 4 hours till nice and thick.
- 2 cups dried white beans (your own favourite kind)
- 6 cups water (for soaking beans)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, seeds taken out (about 3)
- 1⁄2 large white onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans in 6 cups of water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain just before beginning to cook.
- Finely chop white onion and tomatoes, separately, in a food processor (Make sure the juice has been take out of the tomatoes).
- Saute onions in a large pot, with the olive oil until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes longer, adding the salt and pepper in the process.
- Add crushed fennel seeds, and peanut butter and let blend until peanut butter melts. Add beans and brown sugar and stir thoroughly.
- Add 4 and a half cups of water, and bring it to a boil. Bring it to a simmer and slow cook for 3 hours, covered. Last hour of it can be uncovered to reduce water. Let it cool before serving.